Sunday, January 1, 2012

I, Robot

I immediately fell in love with this movie when it was released back in 2004. I'm a big Will Smith fan, and his performance in this is my favorite (Independence Day is a close second).

I have a long-standing interest in the field and concepts of Artificial Intelligence (AI), though to date I admit it is an amateurish one. Is it possible for a machine to achieve true consciousness? I don't know, but I pretty much doubt it... I am skeptical of Ray Kurzweil's visions of advanced machine intelligences that will arrive with "The Singularity. " Back in the Eighties I was pretty well-convinced by Stanley Jaki's arguments in Brain, Mind, and Computers, which are essentially an application of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem to the problem.

So, all of that aside, I merrily indulge in a "willing suspension of disbelief" and enjoy it. You want to watch it, too? Well here's a link to the Amazon Instant Video download...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics